Meissen porcelain plaque Depicting Mary Magdalene
Price upon request
A large 19th century German Meissen rectangular porcelain plaque depicting Mary Magdalene reclining reading from a book. After Antonio Allegri (Italian, 1489-1534), called Correggio. Mary situated in a grotto, clothed only in a cloak, reading intently, a jar at her side. Within a giltwood frame.
Marked with Meissen crossed swords mark in under-glazed blue.
Plaque: 13.5" x 10" (34 cm x 25 cm)
Frame: 23" x 19" (58 cm x 48 cm)
Meissen was founded in 1710 in the gothic Albrechtburg castle. It was the first porcelain manufacturer in Europe. meissen factory at albrechburg castle c. 1710 Originally situated in Dresden, in 1710 the factory was moved to the Albrechtsburg in Meissen, where it was more secure and easier to guard the secret of hard paste porcelain. Initial production was, for the most part, red Böttger stoneware and some of it was marked with incised Chinese characters. It wasn’t until 1713 that true Meissen porcelain began to take the place of this stoneware. In 1719, after the death of Böttger, Höroldt took charge of the factory. He was brought to Meissen from Vienna by Samuel Stölzel and created a rich palette of enamel colours to be used in decoration. Höroldts work is known as the chinoiseries, and included typical scenes from the orient. In 1732 around 92 people worked for Meissen porcelain , among them the famous modellers J.G. Kirchner and J.J. Kändler.